Contributors mailing list archives
Re: Proposal: add a forumby
Glodo, Karl Southern
I honestly struggle with mailing lists. I tend to filter them into a folder and then dip in very, very occasionally. I think personally I'd have a higher chance of interacting more frequently.
On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 9:16 AM Jairo Llopis <email@example.com> wrote:
Hello! I want to propose something I hope will help everybody communicate better :)Many of you might have notice that since long ago Github includes a discussions feature that can be enabled per repo.Since not-so-long ago, there's a possibility to enable discussions for a whole organization. The implementation is rather simple: just select one repo from the org that becomes the "main forum repo".Communicating through mailing lists looks very old-fashioned these days. 🧓 Every decent community has a decent forum, be it discourse or github discussions or whatever.IMHO the best solution would be:
- Create a new repo. We can call it "community" or "oca-forum" or "oca-discuss"... you name it
- PSC for this repo would be community moderators. Maybe a new PSC group?
- Set it as main discussion repo, organization-wide.
- Gradually deprecate the mailing list.Benefits of this approach:
- Look more modern.
- We can edit answers.
- We can put polls.
- We don't need to send mails with +1.
- We can link to comments.
- Community discussion more close to where the community actually works.
- Less things to maintain in odoo-community.orgThat doesn't mean we can't enable discussions for specific repos, to become more focused, just like it's done in OpenUpgrade. But at least we have a general place to talk asynchronously about general stuff, just like we have the Matrix/Discord community for synchronous communication.WDYT?