Contributors mailing list archives
Re:Proposal: add a forumby
Da: "Jairo Llopis" email@example.com
A: "Contributors" firstname.lastname@example.org
Data: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 09:16:56 -0000
Oggetto: Proposal: add a forum
Hello! I want to propose something I hope will help everybody communicate better :)
Many of you might have notice that since long ago Github includes a discussions feature that can be enabled per repo.
Since not-so-long ago, there's a possibility to enable discussions for a whole organization. The implementation is rather simple: just select one repo from the org that becomes the "main forum repo".
Communicating through mailing lists looks very old-fashioned these days. 🧓 Every decent community has a decent forum, be it discourse or github discussions or whatever.
IMHO the best solution would be:
- Create a new repo. We can call it "community" or "oca-forum" or "oca-discuss"... you name it
- PSC for this repo would be community moderators. Maybe a new PSC group?
- Set it as main discussion repo, organization-wide.
- Gradually deprecate the mailing list.
Benefits of this approach:
- Look more modern.
- We can edit answers.
- We can put polls.
- We don't need to send mails with +1.
- We can link to comments.
- Community discussion more close to where the community actually works.
- Less things to maintain in odoo-community.org
That doesn't mean we can't enable discussions for specific repos, to become more focused, just like it's done in OpenUpgrade. But at least we have a general place to talk asynchronously about general stuff, just like we have the Matrix/Discord community for synchronous communication.